Founded in 1980, Loyola’s Joseph A. Sellinger, S.J. School of Business and Management provides academically challenging management education inspired by Jesuit traditions and values. Guided by the philosophy that true education informs students’ minds, bodies, and spirits, the Sellinger School’s undergraduate and graduate programs strive to combine knowledge, preparation for leadership, personal development, and professional certification with a commitment to ethics and the values of service.
While the School is headquartered at Loyola's main campus along N. Charles Street in Baltimore, it also schedules classes at Loyola's graduate campuses in Timonium and Columbia to better meet the needs of working students.
Sellinger's timeline of key milestones are as follows:
- 1937 – Loyola first offered courses in accounting and business administration at the undergraduate level.
- 1943 – The baccalaureate degree in business administration was first awarded; the accounting major was added shortly thereafter.
- 1967 – The master of business administration was first offered.
- 1973 – Loyola introduced the Executive MBA program, the first of its kind in the Baltimore-Washington area and one of the first 10 Executive MBA programs in the country.
- 1980 – Loyola established the School of Business and Management to provide strategic management for business programs.
- 1984 – The business school was formally named The Joseph A. Sellinger, S.J. School of Business and Management in honor of the late Reverend Joseph A. Sellinger.
- 1985 – The Sellinger School initiated the Fellows MBA program, to serve rising young executives.
- 1988 – The Sellinger School earned accreditation in all programs by AACSB (The International Association for Management Education). Loyola is the only private institution in the state of Maryland with a nationally accredited business school.
- 1990 – The accounting department earned specialized national accreditation from AACSB.
- 2000 – The School moved into its own dedicated building, an award-winning, 50,000-square-foot structure with modern elements and state-of-the-art technology designed to blend seamlessly with the Evergreen Campus’ traditional collegiate Gothic architecture.
- 2008 – The School hired the first female dean, Karyl B. Leggio, Ph.D.
- 2010 – The School launched its first full-time graduate business program, the Emerging Leaders MBA