Loyola · Notre Dame Library
Accessing the Databases from Off-Campus
Faculty, staff and students currently enrolled at Loyola University or Notre Dame of Maryland University who wish to access the Library's databases from off-campus need to log in using their library barcode number and last name. Follow these instructions:
1. Go to the Library's homepage: www.loyola.edu/library.
2. Go to the database you wish to access. A screen will appear prompting you for your library barcode number.
3. Log in with your last name (for hyphenated or two-word names, do not use a hyphen or a space between names) in the first field, and your library barcode number (the 14-digit number on your student/faculty/staff I.D. card beginning with the numbers 2242) in the second field. If you do not have an I.D. card or a barcode number, contact the Library Circulation Desk at 410-617-6801. After you have entered your last name and the full bar code number, click on Log In.
If you get the error message "that username or password was incorrect; please try again," you probably need to be re-entered into the library login system. Please call the reference desk (410-617-6802) or the circulation desk (410-617-6801) if you are unable to log in using your last name and barcode. Library staff can provide you with a temporary ID and barcode to use until you are fully entered into the system.Troubleshooting
1. Blackboard problem: If you are going to the library homepage through blackboard, you will need to right-click on a database link and choose "open in new window." Your chosen database will open in its own window, and you will have to close or minimize it in order to return to the subject list page or the library main page. Your other option is to exit out of blackboard and go to the library homepage (www.loyola.edu/library/) in order to access the databases.
2. Error message: An error message, possibly mentioning a problem with cookies, may mean that the security settings on your computer are too high. In order to access the Library's databases, you need to set your browser to accept cookies.
To change cookie settings in Internet Explorer 7.0:
1. From the menu bar at the top of the window, select Tools, then Internet Options.
2. Click on the third tab, marked Privacy.
3. Set the sliding security level bar to Low or Accept All Cookies.
4. Click on the Apply button to activate your changes.
5. Click on OK to exit the menu.
6. Try logging in again using your library ID and password.
7. If the above steps don't work, repeat step 1, then go to the general tab and click on browsing history, then delete cookies and delete temporary internet files. If you still can't log in, contact the reference desk at x6802.
To change cookie settings in Netscape 7.2:
1. From the menu bar at the top of the window, select Edit, then Preferences.
2. Click on the little arrow next to Privacy and Security, then click on Cookies.
3. Select the option "Allow cookies based on privacy settings," then click on the View button next to that option.
4. If your security level is set to High, change the setting to Medium or Low.
5. Click on OK to activate your changes.
6. Click on OK to exit the menu.
7. Try logging in again using your library ID and password.
8. If the above steps don't work, repeat steps 1 and 2, then click on cookie manager, then delete any cookies held for the page you are trying to load (or click delete all cookies). If you still can't log in, contact the reference desk at x6802.
To change cookie settings in Firefox 2.0:
1. Go to tools in the menu bar
2. Go to options
3. Click on privacy tab
4. Check accept cookies
5. Click on show cookies
6. Remove all cookies (then close)
3. Pop-up Blocker: You need to turn off your pop-up blocker (if you have one) for certain databases, such as Mental Measurements Yearbook and Philosopher's Index. Check your browser and your toolbar add-ons (e.g. Yahoo) for a pop-up blocker and disable it before trying again.
If you still have problems, or you need help changing your settings, please call the Reference desk at 410-617-6802.