Loyola recently joined the Principia Consortium, which is housed in Berry College, Georgia. The Consortium is a growing group of 26+ American universities who assembled to offer a study abroad experience designed specifically for American Honors students. This study abroad experience happens at the University of Glasgow. Glasgow is located one hour from Edinburgh, three hours from Newcastle and five hours from London by train, in southwestern Scotland very near the North Atlantic coast. The university is located in Glasgow itself and it is served by two subway stations. Glasgow has an excellent international airport. The continent can also be reached by rail.
Criteria for Acceptance
- This program is only for honors students.
- Typically sophomores with a cumulative CQPA average of 3.00.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation and who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
- Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola, so that you are prepared for Glasgow.
- This program serves only honors students and students in nearly all majors.
- All students must take The Scottish Enlightenment seminar, which is designed for the students in the consortium.
- All other courses are regular integrated courses offered by the university (60 UK credits per semester).
Length of Stay
- This is a one semester program. The fall term runs from September until late December while the spring term runs from early January until mid-June. Students go in early September and are home for Christmas break.
- Students are housed in a dormitory about a 10-15 minute walk from central campus. The dorms have five single bedrooms in a shared suite. A maximum of two Loyola students can live together in a suite.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad for a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a federal work-study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge (Ahern), and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee each semester.
- Loyola financial aid applies.
An application along with a brief essay must be submitted to the Office of International Programs by December 4 (Wednesday after Thanksgiving break) of the year prior to when a student wants to go abroad.
Glasgow Program Student Ambassadors
Program Ambassadors are students who studied abroad in Glasgow during the 2010-2011 academic school year. Please feel free to contact them with program-specific questions.